Thursday, March 22, 2018

"You & Me"


You & Me

Every Saturday afternoon
my childish heart
believed in happy endings,
trusted John Wayne, Gregory Peck,
even that rake Gable
as he always came 'round in the end.

Remember the morning
I woke beside you,
marveled how you embodied them all,
and since I couldn't afford cable
my eyes feasted upon you.

Still do.
Your dark hair has silvered,
and you snore now, well,
you "puff" little breaths,
but I can overlook that.

We can afford cable these days
yet still I pause,
allow my gaze to linger
as Saturday morning's light
rests upon my leading man.

by Margaret Bednar, March 21, 2018

This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Music with Marian - You & Me"

I grew up and went to school in the 1970's and 80's.  I remember a time when we only had three TV channels and everything we saw was in black and white.  It wasn't until I was in high school that my parents had my Uncles TV shipped to us upon his death - it was a bulky color TV.  A big deal!  We had three channels for the longest time (cable couldn't make it to where we lived back then) and I remember the addition of a fourth channel which played "oldies" and reruns - and on the weekends played the old movies with old movie stars in the afternoons.  I was in heaven!  

15 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Love the nostalgic mood of your poem, Margaret!💞 This is beautiful!

Bekkie Sanchez said...

Such nostalgic memories, Margaret! John Wayne movies were the best! I sure miss the old days without cell phones.

Gillena Cox said...

Very romantic write Margaret. A happy Thursday to you

Much🌼love

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is so sweet, especially that your loving gaze still rests upon your very own Clark Gable, whose hair is now streaked with silver. Sigh. Lovely.

Helen said...

I love that you love your husband ... puff snores and all. Beautiful write!

tonispencer said...

And my Brad Pitt has gone bald and snores - loudly but then, so do I. I love this sweet poem of marriage. Mine is not as sweet but it has its bits of share humor. I think you love your Gable as much as I love my Pitt (he used to be blonde before he lost his hair!).

Jim said...

Awww, It doesn't get better than this. Puppy love ages but it still the same, just a little slower. I keep asking Mrs. Jim if she wouldn't like to renew our vows. Her retort, "Well, I haven't done anything that makes me need them." It has become a game we play at certain moments.
BTW, I added a next to last line to my Dear John letter, "Perhaps now the rain will stop." It wasn't supposed to be a literal rain, but a metaphor for a messed up situation. That line might help a bit? Dunno
..

Kim M. Russell said...

A tender poem, Margaret; I love the nostalgia of Saturday afternoon films on TV. We continue to believe in happy endings and some of us have them, even when the other half puffs little breaths - my husband does that too! The final lines are sweet.

Vivian Zems said...

So sweet and romantic....leading man...sigh.

brudberg said...

I grew up without the massive overdose of TV too... and even the smallest thing could nail me to an image...

Susie Clevenger said...

I grew up loving those old movies and leading men. Your poem is a beautiful expression of love.

Brendan said...

Aw. The silver screen silvers your love here sweetly. I remember "cable" in the early '70s -- same network stations, a distant one featuring wrestling matches and one channel where a camera panned back and forth over a clock, temperature gauge and barometer.

Kerry O'Connor said...

and since I couldn't afford cable
my eyes feasted upon you.

I adore these lines!

Marian said...

I love this so much, Margaret, every single word. "I couldn't afford cable" just adds so much. Love, love, love.

Maude Lynn said...

This is the most romantic thing ever!