Tuesday, September 5, 2017

The Wooded Trail - Haibun



The farm pond is silent this morning; the boardwalk's draped with overhanging limb, overgrown bushes, and the vocal aspirations of many a songbird grace forest's edge.  I brush aside cobwebs, try not to imagine the spider's size that wove it, hope it's not crawling up my back.  It's cooler beneath the canopy although I've traded heat for bugs.

Everything's still green but the occasional leaf ferries its way downward, twirls slowly, grudgingly announces a new season's about to begin.  Two tree trunks angle across the path; both look quite old with deep ridges and dark gray bark - even riding my horse I couldn't pass as their needled branches make an effective barrier.

I turn back towards the pasture and ponies familiarizing themselves with each other.  Soon we will be exploring this new terrain of rolling hills together.  Supposedly there is no virgin land left in North Carolina; all timber having been clear cut two or three times.  I'm impressed with the size before me, yet how magnificent to have experienced the height and breadth of their ancestors.  I look forward to the high drama when skeletal limbs expose themselves and sunlight settles upon forest's floor.


the farm pond reflects a red leaf's vulnerability

by Margaret Bednar, September 5, 2017

The above video is a bit long - but I hope you enjoy it.  Our horse is Oberon, the buckskin Quarter Horse.   We are boarding at a new barn - Oberon is making new friends and enjoying the pasture - my daughter had a hard time bringing him in the other day.  The farm was left vacant for a year before the new owners purchased it - and a lot of work needs to be done - fences, arena, stalls, trails - but they have done tremendous work in just two weeks - can't wait until the trails are cut back and ready to be ridden!

This is linked with "dVerse Haibun Monday - Komorebi"

and "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - The Tuesday Platform"

18 comments:

tonispencer said...

Oh I love horses and horseback riding. This is a really nice poem. I love the igh drama in skeletal limbs....

Sherry Blue Sky said...

It is unsettling for horses in new environments...but it looks wonderful. I envy all that green grass....here, the pastures are baked hard, not a green leaf of grass anywhere.

Jim said...

This was a nice Haibun to read, Margaret. I think that red leaves are not meant to end up in a pond. Rather to mellow and ferment nestled in the grass.
I also enjoyed your video. Did Oberon ever come in. Running in the rough fields is dangerous for a horse, ankle sprains or worse can result. But they were having enjoying the challenge.
Right away I remembered "Birdie", she was one of our horses, who one day did not wish to come in. She whirled around and kicked me in the back as I was trying to get away. I was laid up for a week with the first of many back problems.
..

Margaret said...

She caught him right after no problem. New horses and Oberon is a playful guy as well. He usually runs a bit every day

Thotpurge said...

high drama when skeletal limbs expose themselves and sunlight settles upon forest's floor... a beautiful image..

lynn__ said...

Descriptive details in this...the thoughts of the spider made my back ticklish. How nice to have a horse and some open space!

annell4 said...

I enjoyed what you wrote. Loved to learn about your horse.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

You describe a beautiful scene and way of life – and yes, I enjoyed the horses.

Frank Hubeny said...

The winter's forests bare of leaves does seem like a "high drama" now that you mention it.

kaykuala said...

The farm was left vacant for a year
before the new owners purchased it

So much fun to be immersed in greenery and among livestock and animals. But notation above is disturbing. There'll be new owners?

Hank

Margaret said...

No business was operating while it was up for sale. The new owners have been on the farm for three weeks now and improvements and updates are well under way.

Marian said...

This is a really lovely share, Margaret... and I hope all works out in the new digs.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is so beautifully deep and enthralling, Margaret!

Anonymous said...

This is truly well done. The haiku brings a deep reflection to a well written narrative.

brudberg said...

I love the way you leave me with thoughts of time passing, the age of the trees, the plans laid for horseback riding etc. You are fortunate to have this heaven

Julian said...

I did so enjoy reading your poem. Thank you for sharing.

Grace said...

A beautiful landscape ~ Thanks for sharing Margaret ~

Susie Clevenger said...

I always love to hear stories about Oberon. I have absolutely no experience with horses, but I so admire their beauty and spirit.