Friday, August 18, 2017

"The Tide"


The Tide

The first toe dip's a gentle ballet,
a fine pirouette followed with a splash
and a warm breeze's fine welcome.

Unreliable her moods 
for she's just as likely to rock and roll a tempest surge 
that heaves us toward shore, laughing, 
occasional saltwater snorted through our nose.

I don't dare belly dance - the bikini and public
display of my midriff a memory from the distant past - 
but do enjoy a bit of a (secret) salsa as I extend an arm
and gracefully leap, (leg beneath the water outstretched,
back bent) over incoming waves.

Can't decide if I prefer sunrise's gentle melody
as my feet waltz to surf's soft rhythm 
while shore birds enjoy tonga lines along low tide's foam

or sunset's encore of captured color or soothing gray,
demolished sandcastles, and disappearing footprints 
seemingly tap dancing their way out to sea.

by Margaret Bednar, August 18, 2017








10 comments:

Carrie Van Horn said...

It is like a dance the tide and walking bare foot at the edge...this is lovely Margaret...and yes no public belly dancing for me either. :-))

Kerry O'Connor said...

A dance on the beach sounds delightful, Margaret.

brudberg said...

I would love to dance by the beach... especially without audience.

tonispencer said...

Dancing with the tides...I love it and have done it a few times myself. LOL, I gave up on my midriff ages ago. I dance and with abandon.

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh, I love this from the very first line. It is a beautiful setting, dancing with the sea, birds and waves an orchestra. Your poem is such joy in a complicated world. Thank you so much for writing for the prompt!

Jim said...

I smiled at this, Margaret. The woman's side of dancing. She shouldn't worry about her midriff for the belly dance. One of my students mother was a professional belly dancer, in her early forties I'm sure. She had plenty of midriff to show. She and her daughter choreographed our Phi Beta Lambda's (national college business club chapter, I was their sponsor) Galveston Mardi Gras entry (walking-dancing) to the music of "New York, New York". The daughter also did belly dancing with amateur status.
..

Anonymous said...

I think I caught you, or some like you, enjoying the freedom of Ocean Beach.

Sreeja said...

Loved the beach side images and the dance... wonderful feel!!

Kim M. Russell said...

A happy, peaceful poem that gave me a good start to the weekend, Margaret!

Angie said...

got to keep doing that secret salsa! love that