Saturday, February 11, 2017

Of Canna & Martins

Canna "Orange Beauty" flowers - Wrightsville Beach, NC
Of Canna & Martins

Towering titian beauties bold,
coronated, (or so it seems
as regally they don't bend)
stand tall and proud
as I, like a butterfly revere them
from my lowly adirondack chair -

sip a summer's refreshing drink,
watch Purple Martins swoop, dip,
and dine upon dragonflies
upon a scrim I'd liken to Pissarro -

all before me for but an eve
as I soak in the last rays
of this ocean-side holiday.

by Margaret Bednar, February 11, 2017

This could also have been entitled "February Blues" or "Longing for that Summer Vacation".   This will be linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Sunday mini challenge - Recycle a Saying".  I loosely played with this Korean proverb:  "Butterflies come to pretty flowers"

Note:  I see I didn't read the directions of the challenge completely through - the rub was to change a word or two and do an altered version of the proverb...  I'll put my thinking cap on and give it another go perhaps with another poem.

Here are a few more proverbs I found wonderful:

"Spring won't come from one flower"  Persian proverb
"Patience is a flower that grows not in everyone's garden" Italian proverb
"Beauty without virtue is a flower without perfume" French proverb
"All flowers are not in one garland" English proverb
"Flowers leave some of their fragrance in the hand that bestows them" Chinese proverb
"A beautiful flower is incomplete without its leaves" Chinese proverb
"For the sake of the flowers, the weeds are watered" Arabic proverb
"An old man loved is a winter with flowers" German proverb
"Look before you leap, for snakes among sweet flowers do creep" German proverb
"All the flowers of tomorrow are in the seeds of yesterday" Italian proverb
"A kiss without a hug is like a flower without the fragrance" Maltese proverb


9 comments:

brudberg said...

Oh, I do sometimes miss the flowers and the warmth. But trying my best to enjoy February as well as I can.

Kim M. Russell said...

I enjoyed reading about your 'Towering titian beauties', Margaret.

I also enjoyed your list of alternative sayings, especially that Maltese one: "A kiss without a hug is like a flower without the fragrance", which I hadn't heard of.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is such a gorgeously dreamy write!❤️ Sigh.. "ocean-side holiday"..❤️

Magaly Guerrero said...

It's hard not to be butterfly to such unbending flowery beauties.

Love the proverbs you listed, especially the first one. :-)

Susie Clevenger said...

The glory of a flower guard painted by nature's brush to lend awe to your view. This is beautifully visual. Thank you for your list of proverbs. This one inspired my poem "For the sake of the flowers, the weeds are watered" Arabic proverb
I am currently writing my next poetry book. I will revisit your quotes for inspiration. Again thank you

Anonymous said...

Thank you for lavishing us with this experience

Jim said...

I like your thinking here, Margaret. My favorite would be liking a flower as does the butterfly.
I am not a fan of Pissarro, I prefer Monet and Van Gogh. But I do like his love for Boulevard Montmartre in Paris. We walked that quite a bit and even rented a car there across from the 'gare'.
..

Jim said...

I see that you picked and chose amongst the flowering proverbs, Margaret. You did well.
..

Marian said...

Adirondack chairs may be low-slung, but I've always thought of them as quite stately. :)