Wednesday, July 2, 2014

"The Gift"

Red fluttered out of sight until just before I had to leave
The Gift

July's bog garden
is a quiet song, a hushed melody,
a gauzy wrap draping my shoulders.

Spring blooms are gone,
summer greens run rampant,
speckled light tickles forest floor

as I seek my Great Blue Heron.
We met once, he hiding in shaded,
shallow ripples… I tiptoed away.

Today's stagnant pond
offers up ducks loitering water's edge
and an elusive red, darting flash.

I follow, peer through thickets, vines,
trip over roots, stones,
child-like wonder not dissuaded,

feel more than hear thunder's rumble,
glance up towards veiled sky.
"Sweet, sweet, sweet".  Framed by light,

I swear Red's laughing, teasing as I leave,
flutters down, skips along wooded rail,
tracking me, so it seems, cocks his head

as if to say,"Thanks for playing".
I race to beat storm-grey clouds,
clutch his gift of "light" within.

by Margaret Bednar, July 2, 2014

I purposefully went out with my camera to capture light and wouldn't you know it… a storm rolled in.  I have NEVER been followed by a cardinal before - they really are so elusive and flitter away, usually.  This little guy really did sing to me… and fluttered down and hopped along the railing toward me as I photographed him and cocked his head as I walked away.

I really didn't think I was going to find anything to write about as everything seemed a bit drab… but honestly, the light that snuck between the canopy and the "light" this little bird infused in me for the rest of the day was awesome.

These were taken with my iPhone - easy and fun when walking the dog.  I DID just purchase a Canon D70 and am reading the manuals as I am really focused on learning my manual settings.

"Red" walked this whole railing as if following me

3 comments:

Jenny said...

It i so nice to have your gift of words, to be able to paint a picture with them. Darling cardinal and he is following you! xo Jenny

Vanessa Victoria Kilmer said...

Your poem is as rich as summer.

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is an absolute delight, Margaret!