Friday, June 27, 2014

"Cornsilk"


Cornsilk

The cornsilk of your tail
turns 'round this ninety degree day of hell.

I asked for one sign of beauty
as I settled beneath the shady oak

and here you are - neck outstretched,
shimmering light plays upon your back,

skips like lightening to the old fence line,
sagging barn roof, topless silo

and I concede fifty may be the new forty
and beauty really is ageless.

by Margaret Bednar, June 27, 2014

This is linked with Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - "Let's have a Conversation" a conversational poem (inspiration from Douglas Livingstone) with an animal, portrait, statue or suitable companion of conversation that can be successfully addressed in "Apostrophe".  

7 comments:

Ginnie Hart said...

Just the other day I read that 60 is the new 30. HA! As we get older and older, we keep dreaming younger and younger, don't we. I love it. And what an idyllic image!

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is just plain beautiful, Margaret! I love every line and image, and what a perfect message you have given your readers to take away with them.

TexWisGirl said...

really nice.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Fifty is not bad at all--I especially like the first stanzas of this poem--the travel of the light is very lovely and catches even the reader's eye. Thanks, Margaret. K.

Lisa Gordon said...

Margaret, this is just beautiful, and definitely one of my very favorites, of yours.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Jim said...

Very nice reading, Margaret, a feel-good inspiration. I can barely remember 50, at least until I do the arithmetic to find the year. I do remember 40, was newly wed then and still in school.

This pretty horse would inspire most poets, she did well with you. Lately I've been enjoying the 90+ temps. Golfing has me acclimated.

When I saw the picture and the title, I thought of the smoking kind of cornsilk. It really isn't much of a smoke, most farms have much better weeds to smoke.
..

Raining Iguanas said...

Wonderful poem. Concessions being made by this man on a daily basis.