Thursday, October 24, 2013

Day-tripping, 1979

Not an image of Horicon Marsh, but taken in North Carolina

Day-tripping, 1979

Blanketed, bored
we slumped in the backseat,
day-tripping.  No rock-n-roll,
dog panting between us,

no longer little kids
excited about adventure,
but teenagers too cool
to be seen with "The P's".

Promises of fresh air,
wetlands, wildlife
met with a roll
of the eyeballs,

until we arrived,
forgot protocol,
finally smiled -
became human again.

by Margaret Bednar, October 24, 2013


Horicon Marsh Wildlife Area, Wisconsin "HERE".  I remember the first time I saw Horicon Marsh as a child - it was vast with endless sky and the almost deafening sound of the geese overwhelmed me.   Year round other birds call it home as well, and I would certainly make a few trips yearly if I lived nearby.

I am planning a day trip to Blowing Rock or Boone, NC, this weekend.  Not all can make it, not because they selected chores, but due to homework (or so they have convinced me).  I have one child that doesn't like to travel in general but is eager for a trip to the mountains.



This is for "Mr. Knowitall's - Friday Flash 55", which I will link up tonight after 8pm.

15 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

good one!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Great! I remember so well slumping down in the seat to avoid being seen with dad. Too cool, yeah.

The last stanza is perfect, says it all.

hedgewitch said...

You capture that non-involved, 'jaded' boredom of teenagery very well here, Margaret--they can get so into their own world that any other is almost not there--nice transition at the end, as things loosen up.

Gabriella said...

"but teenagers too cool / to be seen with "The P's"." - great line Margaret! I love how you were finally able to enjoy that trip. Have a nice weekend!

Mary said...

Oh this sounds so familiar. It seems teenagers don't want their parents to know they DO enjoy these family outings. It just isn't cool!!!

Brian Miller said...

smiles. pretty cool to get over being with the Ps and just be...the mountains are a great place for recentering as well...have a great time this weekend.

TALON said...

Isn't it amazing how some places just stick inside you? I loved this, Margaret. Have a beautiful time!

Alice Audrey said...

I always meant to get out to Horicon Marsh while I lived in Wisconsin. That and the Shakespeare festival in Spring Green.

Raining Iguanas said...

There's something special about extracting that simple smile from your children when you know what they were thinking a few hours earlier. That's when you know they're still in there.

Kathryn Dyche said...

The last stanza had me smiling. :0)

G-Man said...

Margaret Bednar...
The Forest, the Plaines, the Desert, the Mountains, and yes the Swamps, all have their own intrinsic beauty. One not more than the other!
You are such a Master of the casual observation.
Loved your coming of age 55
Thanks for making Fridays so much fun
Have a Kick Ass NC Week-End

Grandmother Mary said...

Or as my daughter called us at that age- the parental units! Good thing it's only a stage.

Maude Lynn said...

I can just hear those kids moaning in the backseat!

Ginnie Hart said...

HA! "How many more minutes/miles, Mom??!!" One day they'll tell all their adventures to their children and grandchildren! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful image! I have to say, it was a lot more fun to take the kids places when they were young and fun. Glad to be past the teen angst years.