Friday, June 14, 2013

IGWRT's Artistic Interpretations - Cowboy Poetry "Death of a Dream"



Death of a Dream

Her beauty reflects
the land she rides,

a harshly seamed mosaic
of repentance and pride,

and as the haunting cry
of a crow's lament

oft' does signal
a songbird's death,

so too womanly dreams
of hearth and home

dashed to bits,
forever to roam

due a jealous rage
and a forty-five,

with the blackbird's caw
her ode does rise.

by Margaret Bednar, June 14, 2013


This is for Imaginary Garden of Real Toad's "Artistic Interpretations" - Cowboy Poetry LITE.  Click on over and sit a spell :)  I'm hosting and this is my second poem writing to the fabulous photography of Merri Melde of "The Equestrian Vagabond".  She also has a horse BLOG.

7 comments:

21 Wits said...

Lovely words, and ever lasting images throughout.

Helen said...

The cawing of a crow always leaves me with an uneasy feeling .....

Anonymous said...

Crows have a a rather morbid reputation. it is captured so well here in this poem.

Kay L. Davies said...

I rather like crows, the cheeky things, yelling when they think we've done something wrong.
The first photo is one I wanted to use but couldn't fit any words to...
This has been a super prompt, Margaret, both writing and reading.
K

Kerry O'Connor said...

Lovely use of form to convey the death of the bird.

hedgewitch said...

Reminds me of a Willie Nelson song--and that's a true compliment, I'm sure you know. ;_) Thanks for this wonderful prompt, and for the introduction to Merri's photography,

Fireblossom said...

Whoa! I wonder if the song Hedgewitch means is "I Just Can't Let You Say Goodbye"?