Friday, March 23, 2012

Sepia Saturday "Going Out"

Photo:  Courtesy of Flicker Commons

This is linked to Sepia Saturay:  theme "Going Out".  My camera battery charger is hiding, so instead of photographing my own sepia images from my "box" I found this one on Flicker Commons.  I'm playing around with watercolor portraits and using this image for a reference.

Looks to me like these ladies are all decked out at the race tracks (could that be a racing program in her hands?),  A thread I was reading hinted at the possibility this was Monmouth not far from the New Jersey shore.  It could also be a horse show at Monmouth.  It is most likely April or May or early autumn based upon the way they are dressed.

This was a fun bit of information I found.  I wonder if the event below is where these two ladies  are strolling?

The whipped cream of New York society turned out in October, 1912, for the eleventh annual horse show at the Piping Rock Country Club, in Locust Valley, on the north shore of Long Island. A new clubhouse and stepped observation boxes had just been opened for their pleasure:
Story in The New York Times, October 4, 1912:
"SOCIETY AMATEURS IN THE SADDLE
"Piping Rock Horse Show Attracts Hunting Set to Locust Valley Grounds"
query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9D 06E1D6113BE6...
Another story in The New York Times, October 5, 1912:
"SOCIETY AIDS AT PIPING ROCK SHOW
"Notable People View Amateur Horse Exhibition Amid Long Island Hills"
query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=95 06E6D7113AE6...


I'm assuming they are wearing the latest fashion -- which seems to be a fur animal wrapped around the shoulders!  I like the way in which they have their heads turned in towards one another, seemingly in a conversation... but their eyes are both looking askance...  perhaps a bit of gossip about a certain someone?

Mrs. Schiff's name was Adele Gertrude Neustadt (1880-1932) photo created between 1910 - 1915.  I think Adele is a pretty name.  I found much of this  information HERE.

16 comments:

Little Nell said...

They do look very smart. It makes a change from today’s ‘fascinators’ to see them in furs etc. I hope they had a good time together.

TexWisGirl said...

i would not want to be in a camp tent during a bad thunderstorm...

Kristen Haskell said...

http://www.livinginthemiddle.com/2012/03/tagi-am-lucky-duck.html

Margaret - Please play along. After I saw your mallard I have to say, "Tag you are a lucky duck!" It is a fun get to know you game between us bloggers. The rules are posted on my blog.

North County Film Club said...

They're definitely gossiping about some friend that doesn't have one of those fancy furs.
Nancy

Tattered and Lost said...

I'm so glad going out no longer requires something dead hanging around ones shoulders. They are fascinating ladies all decked out for the track. Imagine them trying to keep their composure as the horses raced.

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

They are certainly dressed up! Wonder if they planned to dress alike?

Wendy said...

I love those fashions!

Alan Burnett said...

What great pictures. And "the whipped cream of New York society" - I just love that phrase.

Anonymous said...

A very fashionable pair of ladies - I love the outfit on the right, but would have to lose the fox :-)

Bob Scotney said...

The Seligmans were a well known family on both sides of the Atlantic.
That looks like a fox fur Mrs Selgman is wearing. I'm intrigued by their shoes, but can't quite make them out.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Great photo and story! I think that Adele is a beautiful name too.

Kathy M.

Queen Bee said...

This is a great photo - love the time period (1912). Sharing the details about Adele makes the picture even more interesting. Great idea to add a source link to the picture.

Postcardy said...

I wonder what they are doing there by themselves. It seems like there should be a crowd of people there.

21 Wits said...

Oh my these ladies looked like they certainly knew how to have a great time, and be stylish in doing what ever they wanted! Great photo!

Ginnie Hart said...

Oh yes. So very chic and in the know. I have a feeling they're looking down on Astrid and me...and Astrid would say something like she doesn't care a sh**! :)

Bruno Laliberté said...

You sure took it up a notch!!
Splendid fashion, even if it is to walk in the grass and muck... if nothing worse!! Race tracks it is, but where was the crowd?
:)~
HUGZ