Sunday, December 18, 2011

Magpie Tales #96 - "Unseen"

image: Lee Friedlander, 1966 (used for Magpie Tales #96)
Unseen


Santa Claus is for real, like Pharcellus wrote,
(from 1897's New York's Sun, I quote)

"there is a veil covering the unseen world"...
"only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance
can push aside that curtain" 

and offer a glance of

"supernal beauty and glory beyond"

Seek not I, such evidence,

"real and abiding"

to give life relevance and resonance,
for affected not I

"by the skepticism of a skeptical age"

I fill my days aspiring
to keep alive my hope,
if not with intelligence
then with simplicity of a childlike heart

Spied, I have, many a clue
that Santa's alive and real,
unseen by most, a transparent veil
casting shadows at times

"make(ing) glad the heart of childhood"

Margaret Bednar, Art Happens 365, December 18, 2011

* * * * *

I KNOW I have said this before, but this Magpie Tales #96 was the hardest prompt I have EVER been challenged with as this photo did not initially inspire me at all!  But I stuck with it and gave it a whirl.  I'm not sure if I succeeded with what I set out to do...  But anyway, thanks Tess!

Here is a link to the actual newspaper clipping by newsman Francis Pharcellus.

21 comments:

Helen said...

My dear, you aced it!!

Kathe W. said...

as Helen said- you got it! Well done!

kaykuala said...

You did very well,Margaret! I too got distracted initially!

Hank

Laurie Kolp said...

Margaret- This is spectacular... glad you stuck with it. I think it matches the mysterious aura in the picture.

Friko said...

you did well. It is hard, I agree; I haven't got round to doing it yet, but I shall probably not be very serious about it.

Margaret said...

Awe, thanks for the cheers! And Friko, you usually find a very interesting perspective ... I will swing around later everyone. Busy, busy days with all my "chicks" at home (and it feels wonderful!) :)

Jinksy said...

My first thought was that she looked to have a black Father Christmas beard! Hehehe! Nice take on an odd image...

Unknown said...

Don't you love how deep digging brings up rich veins. Terrific.

Maude Lynn said...

I love what you did with it!

Anonymous said...

there are a lot of great things here.

for one, i like the two voices, and i like that the shadow is Santa.

since this shadow seems sinister to me, i'm wondering if you see santa as sinister

Margaret said...

Zongrik ... ha! No, I don't find Santa sinister. It is a strange image and I can see why some picked up that vibe... but her smile seems relaxed enough to me. I guess, everyone can be a "Santa"... and I tried to tie into that idea a bit ...

Thanks Mama Zen, Kim & Jinksy! :)

izzy said...

Santa's shadow! of course! thanks.

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Score! A superb write! :)

Sheila said...

yay for santa!

Ginnie Hart said...

My name is Virginia and I am here to tell you: "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus." :)

Carolina Linthead said...

I fill my days aspiring
to keep alive my hope...

*sigh* Beautiful phrasing, Margaret...really liked this.

Anonymous said...

I really like this take on the picture, especially your weaving of quotes throughout.

This is my favorite nugget of truth: "if not with intelligence
then with simplicity" ... It's hard to know which direction is "right." I think probably simplicity and childlike wonder should win.

~Shawna
(rosemarymint.wordpress.com)

Brian Miller said...

smiles..i am a believer...nice weaving margaret...i like the quotes you sprinkle through out...hope you have a magical christmas with your family

Isabel Doyle said...

You are right - it was a difficult prompt, but I think everybody has risen to the challenge in interesting and original ways.

Best wishes Isabel

Anonymous said...

thank you for the smiles!

wishing you and your loved ones a lovely Christmas, Margaret, with hopes that 2012 is a wonderful year for you!
♥ dani

susan m hinckley said...

I had the same initial reaction to this prompt, so I'm glad I wasn't alone. Well done though, and I love the direction you took it!