Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Poetry Jam - "Opium"



Opium

A scarlet dream is tempting me
So softly, gently it endures
Of memories, like potpourri
A scarlet dream is tempting me
My past, my love, this cannot be...
Eternally my heart is yours...
A scarlet dream is tempting me
So softly, gently it endures.

By Margaret Bednar, Art Happens, May 15, 2011



I originally wrote this poem with the idea of a past lover (person).  But I think I see it now as the addiction itself is the past love and something the recovering addict is always turning away from and haunted by.  And it doesn't have to be an illegal drug - prescription drugs are just as dangerous and often are considered "safe" so "scarlet" used in that sense could meant as "offensive" or "sinful".

This is my "resurrected" contribution to Poetry Jam - this week's theme "A drug-induced world".

6 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

thanks for the added perspective on what it could mean - rather than a person. :)

G-Man said...

Very Crimson...

Dave King said...

This works wonderfully, from which ever angle you approach it.

Anna :o] said...

Oh Margaret this is good.

Anna :o]

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

very beautiful.

Lisa Gordon said...

Wonderful poem, and such beautiful images for it!