Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Magpie Tales #61, "The Art of Wine Tasting"

Photo Courtesy of Tess Kincaid for Magpie Tales
The Art of Wine Tasting

"There is an art
to wine tasting"
my date explained.
Hold the stem,
not the bowl.
Gently tilt the glass,
check the color.
Swirl to oxygenate
(on a flat surface).
And then it's time
to tip and stick
your nose in it.
And sniff."

"Finally the sip?" I asked.

He continued patiently,
"It should spread
across one's tongue
front to back,
side to side..."

"And then swallow!" I blurted

"Ah, no.  Not yet."
He continued,
"Slurp some air,
through puckered lips;
this releases more flavor."
He paused,
looked at me,
raised an eyebrow
and cautioned:
"Be careful not to drip!"

"Now, for the wonderful
slow burn?  I eagerly inquired.

"Patience," he chided.
"No.  Not yet.
It is advised to spit it out."

That was our first and last date.

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens, 4-14-11

* * * * *
This is a silly response to the phot, but it does have a hint of a real conversation of a long, long time ago...  In reality, my husband created a "monster".  I went from being VERY happy with a cheap bottle of White Zinfandel, to loving expensive wine.  And he has himself to blame.  I really don't enjoy wine tasting that much as I really only enjoy dry reds and I have a tendency to drink my wine too fast, I'm sure.

I will be taking next week off from Magpie Tales (and probably blogging) as I will be on Spring Break!  

Have a Wonderful Easter Holiday, my Magpie Friends!

14 comments:

Lane Savant said...

Like that one, good attitude

TexWisGirl said...

i don't have the patience to drink fine wine. i'll slug down a cheap white zin any day... :)

enjoy your break time!!! truly!

Isabel Doyle said...

yes but you probably enjoyed what you tasted while he was far too busy analysing to notice ...good poem

Lisa Gordon said...

This is wonderful Margaret, and oh yes, unfortunately there IS a difference between the "cheap stuff," and the "good stuff!!"
Have a wonderful Spring Break, and see you when you return.
Happy Easter to you!

Maude Lynn said...

This is fabulous!

Helen said...

You? Silly? Never! This is enchanting. Moral, drink wine with those you enjoy ... who aren't wine snobs.

Rosie Grey said...

:-) I love this post! And I love a red Zinfandel ;-)

Stranger said...

I'm a fan of the dry reds as well. And my husband is to blame for my graduation from the cheap stuff to the good (expensive) stuff.

Dating is like wine tasting - you swallow the ones that are good and spit the tasters out.

Enjoy your spring break.

Doctor FTSE said...

I'm getting good poem with hints of humour and a strong aftertaste of chuckle.

Margaret said...

Glad you all enjoyed this silliness. I almost didn't post it...

Lucy Westenra said...

I'm glad you didn't almost didn't post it, because it's a lovely picture of a type we've all met! I prefer to pull the cork, teem a good helping into a glass and pour it down my neck. Keep writing, Margaret . . .

Steve Isaak said...

Solid writing - distinctive tone to this. Good stuff.

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

lovely humor,
enjoyed toe descriptive words.

Hyde Park Poetry Palace said...

beautiful write…

Invite you to join poets rally week 42 by sharing a free verse today.

You will love the encouragements you get once you are in and make commitment.

Your poetry rocks!

awards for you!