Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Poetry Potluck #14, "Passion Pursued" Haiku


House lights dim, band plays
 Grand velvet house curtain parts
 Our passion pursued

by Margaret Bednar

This is my first attempt at a Haiku.  Looking up the "rules" of Haikus was a bit confusing, so I went with the basic 5,7,5.  If anyone can shed light on the correct approach to this form of poetry, please enlighten me.  

This is for Jingle Poetry's "Poetry Potluck".  The theme this week is Hobbies & Passions, Pastimes & Entertainment.  The above photo is almost a year old - My oldest son played "Roger" in the musical "RENT".

4 comments:

Jingle said...

you did well, my friend.

I love music and music related poetry.

A++

Carol Blackburn said...

Wonderful first Haiku, Margaret. You have the right 5,7,5 syllable format. Originally Haiku was meant to have a nature theme but modern Haiku poets have gone away from it. They are not easy and will certainly challenge your mind.

Rosie Grey said...

To be honest, I've no idea what a Haiku is, Margaret! But I love your poem, whatever that is! :-)

Margaret said...

Jingle, Carol, & Rosie - Thank you for the encouragement. Poetry is very new to me and it is fun.