Thursday, November 18, 2010

Biltmore Greenhouse, 60/365


This is the greenhouse for the Biltmore Estate.  One must walk from the mansion through the rectangular Italian garden with it's pools, fountains, and statue filled courtyard.  Of course, one also enjoys the distant view of the Appalachian Mountain range.  Now it is a leisurely stroll down a sloping, winding path through the Shrub Garden into the Walled garden, which is four acres.   What you find here depends upon the season.  Brick lined paths meander throughout and under the grape arbors that offer a shaded bench for one to rest.  Within this space there is also a Rose garden, a Butterfly garden and a Peony garden.  Below the Walled garden, there is also a 200 acre Azalea and Spring garden.  The magnolia trees are my personal favorite.  (During May and June, people bring picnic baskets and enjoy lunch here).  I visited once in the spring when the tulips were in bloom.   Walking through the sea of color to get to the entryway of the greenhouse is overwhelming to the senses.   Can you even imagine how long it takes a lover of photography to complete this walk?


Fredrick Law Olmsted, designer of New York's Central Park and the Smithsonian Zoo in D.C.,  designed 75 acres of gardens for Biltmore.  I believe he spent the rest of his life tending these grounds.




After exploring the greenhouse, one can walk down to the Bass Pond, which is about 1/2 mile further on.   And remember, there is still the horseback riding trails, the guided house tours, River Bend Farm and the Winery to visit.  Oh, and don't forget the lovely town of Asheville.  One to two days is never enough time, but that is why people keep going back.


And just below is my 60th photo for my 365 Photographic Journey...at least one different photo every day of the year. This is a birthday present from the grandparents. My son played with an identical set at their house while visiting this past summer.  He absolutely loves it and the wooden train track it came with.  Now, to keep all the pieces in one place! He was sitting on my lap here as he wasn't feeling very well.  I enjoyed this moment of cuddling - he ended up falling asleep on my lap with these trains clutched in his hands. 






                                                        

5 comments:

Everyday Goddess said...

Breathtaking shots ~ nicely done!

Carol Blackburn said...

Looks like an awesome place to visit. Thanks for sharing.

Rosie Grey said...

What an interesting post, Margaret! And such wonderful photos - I enjoy the colours on this grey November day today! And so cute this last one!

Pitterle Postings said...

OH, I wish this was close to me! What a beautiful place to visit and take pictures in! It doesn't look like autumn inside that space!!

Margaret said...

Goddess, Carol, Rosie & Patty Ann, I plan on going back before Christmas and I am already planning a long visit to the greenhouse. I can only imagine the amazing plants the have during the Holiday Season. I'm glad you enjoyed the post - and maybe I will have some festive photos to share in a few weeks!